ACLU Benefit in Boston

General discussion of all things Evan-y

Moderators: lutewhine, mallocup, Smudge

mekons63

ACLU Benefit in Boston

Postby mekons63 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:29 am

An ACLU fundraiser at the Paradise in Boston to be held on Saturday, March 18 and featuring Evan, Juliana Hatfield, Belly, Nada Surf, Bill Janovitz and Gravel Pit was announced today. Tickets are on sale via Ticketmaster.

It's a great lineup for and even greater cause. Would be there in a heartbeat if it didn't conflict with SXSW.

MAXIERILEY

Re: ACLU Benefit in Boston

Postby MAXIERILEY » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Sold out

lemonhead1961
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Postby lemonhead1961 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 am

It's hard to interpret the word "shambolic" when applied to Dando - it sounds "not good" at first but maybe it wasn't - anyone know for sure how it went?
https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2017/03/19/rockers-band-together-support-aclu/WJKeHx0rVnHWsLEKFHkd7K/story.html

MAXIERILEY

Postby MAXIERILEY » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:16 pm

I was there. It wasn't good and I'll leave it at that.
On another note. Bill Janovitz is insane. What a set

lemonhead1961
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Postby lemonhead1961 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 pm

It's sad to hear that - but this is his modus operandi - why can he be so erratic - breathtakingly brilliant one show and shambolic the next - is it that he's wasted on something or just not in the mood? I think about the people that will have turned up mainly to see him (and there will be a few) - ah well - he's human, he's fallible.

Bill Janovitz - about time I gave him a good youtubing.

MAXIERILEY

Postby MAXIERILEY » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:17 am

It's too bad because the place was sold and a lot of people people were there to see him.

MAXIERILEY

Postby MAXIERILEY » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:18 am

Sold out

Heard

Postby Heard » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:40 pm

3 songs and he was late...being around....I still wont give up on him

mtvernonstreetpedestrian

Postby mtvernonstreetpedestrian » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi there- I just got my account activated for the board though I have been lurking here off and on for a while, so here's my really late full recap of his set for anyone who is interested in way too much information.

Dando was scheduled to go on at 9 PM but a local Boston band from the 90’s called the Sheila Divine, who weren’t scheduled to play, suddenly was announced to go on instead. I was wondering what was going on, especially since the lead singer of that band kept making cracks about Dando in between songs. They played a few songs then suddenly looked over to the side of the stage and said “Oh, Evan’s here!” so it was clear that they were just filling in. He came hastily on stage, having apparently borrowed a guitar from someone else, and immediately launched into “Being Around” then said “I need a beer!” but no one brought him one unfortunately. I would have given him my beer if I was closer to the stage.

Then Marciana Jones came out on stage and joined him and seemed to be accompanying him off and on but it wasn't very clear. He played “The Outdoor Type” and “Confetti” and then two covers, “Round Here” and “Settled Down Like Rain” then abruptly left the stage. On the whole he barely said anything on stage in between songs. He did start to play “Down About It’ but abruptly changed his mind and stopped. He sounded pretty good but it was disappointing not to get more than 15 minutes of playing. But oh well, in a way I appreciate that he's very unpredictable.

lemonhead1961
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Postby lemonhead1961 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Thanks - interesting to hear a bit more of the story - and you are way too forgiving (aren't we all!?) - I just wish he had good people around him to keep him on an even keel and on track - maybe he's happy, who knows - but I couldn't cope with what seems to me like a life of meandering, inconsistency and unpredictability - but my opinion's worth nothing - I just want the best for him.

mtvernonstreetpedestrian

Postby mtvernonstreetpedestrian » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:45 pm

I was a big Lemonheads fan as a kid but was ultimately converted to what I like to call the "Church of Dando" after an amazing show at the Sinclair in Cambridge in December of 2015. So maybe I just haven't had a chance yet to be anything but forgiving :lol:

I did get a chance to say hello to Evan outside afterwards, and he was very kind (I'm sure he didn't really want to be bothered but was incredibly polite). Hoping the upcoming Baby I'm Bored tour will be better, I'm really looking forward to seeing him play again.

mekons63

Postby mekons63 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks for the review! Most of what I read was from the perspective of people freshly pissed off about the short set. Nice to see a calmer assessment. No idea what the circumstances were but there were pics of him playing with a local band at a bar in England literally the night before so I suspect a day of travel might have figured into the lack of preparation.

I'm also hoping for a great Baby I'm Bored show in Somerville . By chance I was already flying into Boston that day so I'll be hanging around for that before heading west. Should be a great evening.

mtvernonstreetpedestrian

Postby mtvernonstreetpedestrian » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:03 pm

What luck that you'll be in town for the show! That venue in Somerville is nice, intimate and homey as I remember though I've only been there once before.

Return to “Evan Dando & The Lemonheads”