General discussion of all things Evan-y

Moderators: lutewhine, mallocup, Smudge

lemonhead1961
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Uh Oh - NZ shows cancelled - missed planes, entry refused

Postby lemonhead1961 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:33 am

Sad for the fans...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/93328213/evan-dando-nz-concerts-cancelled-due-to-missed-flights-entry-refusal
If only he wouldn't keep turning up at the last minute - maybe there'd be time to re-plan or sort out problems.

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Re: Uh Oh - NZ shows cancelled - missed planes, entry refused

Postby suzy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:52 am

Very sad
fan

Francisco Dianes

Postby Francisco Dianes » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 am

squadcar

Postby squadcar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:25 pm

They've cancelled/postponed Singapore tomorrow night.

http://juice.com.sg/evan-dando-will-not ... -tomorrow/

squadcar

Postby squadcar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:52 am

Reason for denied entry not being released. I can understand privacy but it would have been nice to have had some sort of statement from the great man.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=11872045

Irrelevant Elephant

Postby Irrelevant Elephant » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:01 am

Why would you expect an explanation? Evan has shit on his fans from a great height for many years. He clearly doesn't give a fuck so I'm not sure why any of us do at this point. I can safely assume that he won't be turning up in Hong Kong on Monday night too but of course no word from the precious genius. Honestly, at this point I have more important things in my life than going to a show and not knowing if the performer could be bothered to turn up. Its a real shame that Evan is still doing this shit as a 50 year old man. Unprofessional, pathetic and totally expected from this dude. Thanks Evan, you are a real swell guy.
Last edited by Irrelevant Elephant on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irrelevant Elephant

Postby Irrelevant Elephant » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:03 am

Evan seems to have little concept that most people have jobs and often go to great lengths to see him perform. It obviously bears no meaning for him.

Metalheart

Postby Metalheart » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:09 am

That's not true he does care for his fans.... He's gotten plenty tickets to shows for free and is gracious to talk after he has played several hrs..Honestly yes he does have his problems as we all do but he cares, and treats many as friends, he's not stuck up.... at all. He's a nice person and has given the fans alot over the years.I won't give up on him for missing a few shows. He plays for the most part very long sets.... and he has one of the best voices in music.He does have bad days as we all do in our daily lives.... Let's not go bashing him and show a bit of understanding for him....I hope for Evan he's ok... you win some and lose some. No need for that talk.Thats my peace... Looking forward to a new album from him.....Love his acoustic solo shows....I really think he shines best by himself....I love all The Lemonheads stuff but the solo shows are really special.
You're one light slowly fading in my mind

Irrelevant Elephant

Postby Irrelevant Elephant » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:29 am

I've liked him for a long time too man. I know he is not a deplorable human being. However, he is perhaps one of the most unprofessional musicians in the business. Its just not good enough and this has happened many, many times over a long period of time. Fuck me, Bieber has more cred as a professional at this point in time.

lemonhead1961
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Postby lemonhead1961 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:02 am

"precious genius"=LOL

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Postby suzy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:32 pm

depression , bi polar problems, and companions can often get in the way of what he would like to do with his life,
fan

mekons63

Postby mekons63 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:12 pm

suzy wrote:depression , bi polar problems, and companions can often get in the way of what he would like to do with his life,

Sorry to hear he deals with these issues even though I suspected most of it. Hope he realizes how happy his music makes a lot of us, even when not much else will, and that he finds someone relief from his troubles.

lemonhead1961
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Postby lemonhead1961 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:00 am

I really don't think fans that took him to heart 25 years ago are going to turn against him now, not after all this time - this forum, quiet as it is atm will spring into life any time he gets his act together or gets some new music out. He's been very open about a lot of things, more than he needed to - no one can say they didn't know about the forces at work in him but I guess it's easy to forget they are real problems that still mess things up from time to time - it's just so sad and disappointing when he doesn't show up or puts in a half ass performance because, when you've seen him anywhere near his best, he can be so great - it's just that you can't always rely on him.

Irrelevant Elephant

Postby Irrelevant Elephant » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:12 am

I apologise for my rant yesterday. I know he has problems but damn.

mtvernonstreetpedestrian

Postby mtvernonstreetpedestrian » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:03 am

I’ve been thinking about this a lot over the past few days and I think one of the things that makes Dando great is, oddly, his unpredictability and erratic nature. I don’t ever expect or want him to get his act together, because I feel like when you see him really great and on-point, it doesn’t feel like an act. It’s strange but I think his lack of "professional" ness is a huge component of his charm and genius.

My 2 cents. Of course, I say this as someone who lives relatively close to his geographic base so I probably have more chance to see him than those of you in other parts of the world, and I really sympathize with those who have so far been disappointed on this tour.

squadcar

Postby squadcar » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:35 pm

I am one of those that was disappointed by his cancellation of shows, but that won't sway me from loving the guy and his music. I had a mate that flew in for the SG show just before it was cancelled and he too just shook his head and smiled. Ultimately, I hope he's okay and that he heads back in this direction soon..

rwcass
Contributor 2010
Contributor 2010

Postby rwcass » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 pm

suzy wrote:depression , bi polar problems, and companions can often get in the way of what he would like to do with his life,

It certainly seems like depression is a factor, and I say that with the utmost empathy. Depression can absolutely shut a person down.

Irrelevant Elephant

Postby Irrelevant Elephant » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:05 am

For anyone interested Evan did turn up and play in Hong Kong. I was wrong to doubt him. I must say that is was pretty remarkable to travel from LA to HK for one very small little gig. Credit to Evan.

Furthermore, yesterday was a Typhoon day in Hong Kong. It was what we call a Signal 8 which means everything is closed and people are advised to stay at home and are excused from work. Evan turned up and played regardless. Credit to him. Well done.

mekons63

Postby mekons63 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:20 am

How was the set? Average hour and a half length or one of the marathon sets? Glad you were able to see him.

Hopefully the storm didn't keep him from making his show in Tokyo tonight.

nickthestone

Postby nickthestone » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 am

I've been following Evan/The Lemonheads since 1992, been to see him around 50 times & there's only been a couple of times I've left a gig feeling let down.

The worst was when Evan played Reading 97, in the afternoon he was scheduled to turn up at the NME signing tent, so me & a couple of friends went & queued for 4 hours to make sure we got to say hi & ask to sign a cd. Before he came out, a girl ahead of us in the queue wanted to go to the bathroom, so I kept her place for her. While she was gone a girl photographer gave everyone a photo of Evan, which was cool. After that an Even rep came to us with the Galveston/Balancing Act 7" for him to sign, saying he would only sign that. I asked the rep for a spare one for the girl who went to the toilet, but was told only one per person.

The girl came back & I gave her the photo, & explained what had been said, but she was ok. Evan came out & sat behind the table with some weird poet/rapper bloke & was generally being a bit of an arse. Some NME bod came up to us & said, a photographer had been following him about & he was really pissed off. Unfortunately it was the photographer who gave everyone these prints.

So we filed round to meet Evan himself, the girl whose place I saved gave Evan the photo to sign & tried to explain, but before she could the great Evan decided to snatch the photo, rip it up & then threw it at the poor girl. I was next, so I walked past him, without even looking & gave the girl the record.

Luckily a friend had a copy of Ray & got to that signed for me, & I had to buy the single on eBay.

For all the genius he is & the amazing songs he writes, Evan can be an arse.

stove
Jello Funder 2012
Jello Funder 2012

Postby stove » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Evan is unpredictable, and that's what makes it interesting to see him. That's easy for me to say, because living in the Washington, DC area, I can usually count on seeing him at least once a year. If he missed a show and that was my one chance to see him, I'd be upset. And sometimes he's on and seems to enjoy himself, and sometimes he's not. One of my most memorable shows was at the Black Cat in 2011. He didn't talk or make eye contact, and he just seemed to be playing for himself. He was a mess, and many people left before he finished. But looking back, I wouldn't have wanted to miss it.

More recently, I saw him in Baltimore, where he played more than 45 songs over two hours. He talked to the crowd, told jokes, and hung out afterwards. As amazing as it was, one woman posted on this forum about how she had taken her teenage son and was appalled that he was inebriated (which he seemed to be) and she had crushed her son's perception of him. Hey Lady, it's rock and roll. Real fans will appreciate the setlist -- he played My Darling, Sound at the Speed of Loneliness, Candy Says, Skulls, 138, Abandoned, Frank Mills, Live Forever, Uhhh, I Am a Rabbit, and much more. I've seen him 30+ times, and I heard many songs for the first time. Sloppy? Yes. But amazing.

Here are some videos I made from that night:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... DGt54fUZnT

MAXIERILEY

Postby MAXIERILEY » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Crazy

Metalheart

Postby Metalheart » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Top comment Lemon meets Apple
You're one light slowly fading in my mind

Return to “Evan Dando & The Lemonheads”