Has anybody battled with substance abuse?

Anything and everything or just plain nothing

Moderators: lutewhine, mallocup, Smudge

dfekt86

Has anybody battled with substance abuse?

Postby dfekt86 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:34 am

I won't go into detail but I've been dealing with alcohol for quite some time.

The first red flag should have been when I went all the way to NYC and got so drunk I almost fell asleep on the sidewalk at a LH show. 2005 I think? 19 at the time and no better at 29.

Just wondering if anybody here has battled this kinda thing. I just got out of detox but am super anxious. It's pretty tough.

Sorry if this is a weird post. Just trust the people here. Sorry.
serious-I-shit-you-not-Lemonheads-slam-dancers near the stage tonight

Toronto Dec 12th 2006 Review

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Re: Has anybody battled with substance abuse?

Postby suzy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:47 am

Lots of people in my family have this problem and as a result, I have gone to Alanon to learn to cope. Have you thought of AA where when you are feeling anxious rather than having a drink, there are people to call on the spot who have seen it all. To be able to get past those moments is key for your sobriety and that's just the one way I know of. I say, good for you for dealing with the issue at your age before it ruins your life,your health and alienates you from friends and family. I applaud you!!
fan

dfekt86

Postby dfekt86 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:38 pm

I've done it all. AA has always rubbed me the wrong way. Rehab and detox is the easiest part. It's when I get out that's the hard part which is why I was just looking for some words of encouragement. Thanks for the reply.

My doctor just put me on valium because nothing else has really worked. I know it's a strange thing to post on a message board like this but it's such a tough battle. Just thought some people here might be able to relate.

Thx for the reply, suzy. I've been trying to kick it since I was a teenager. It's not fun.

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Postby suzy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Lots of people feel that way about AA. Sometimes a different mix of people in the group can make all the difference and one of the advantages is that you get a person that you like that you can call during the tough times.Perhaps a different group would suit you better. I don't think it's a strange thing to write of problems that perhaps someone could help you with on a sight like this. Why shouldn't this sight be helpful to people.? It is a kind of community after all.Be very proud of yourself for all the efforts you are making to beat this thing. Many people have been able to arrest the disease of alcoholism by doing just what you are doing.
fan

dfekt86

Postby dfekt86 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:02 am

Thanks Suzy. It means a lot.

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Postby suzy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:50 am

( :
fan

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:51 am

Battling alcohol as we speak and doing a god damned bad job of it.
"Butterscotch streetlamps mark my path"

www.myspace.com/royirwinmusic

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 am

And best of luck with kicking it. I am now 30, had an alcoholic father and started drinking myself when I was about 14. My red flags are the same, I've fallen asleep in public a lot, had to have people carry me home. I'm grateful to still actually be alive because It got so severe and I mixed with sleeping pills. Feels nuts even typing this shit. It's unreal. I suffer from really bad anxiety... today was bad, I'm drinking some beers. It's hard.
"Butterscotch streetlamps mark my path"

www.myspace.com/royirwinmusic

rwcass
Contributor 2010
Contributor 2010

Postby rwcass » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:59 pm

Roy wrote:And best of luck with kicking it. I am now 30, had an alcoholic father and started drinking myself when I was about 14. My red flags are the same, I've fallen asleep in public a lot, had to have people carry me home. I'm grateful to still actually be alive because It got so severe and I mixed with sleeping pills. Feels nuts even typing this shit. It's unreal. I suffer from really bad anxiety... today was bad, I'm drinking some beers. It's hard.

Have you ever talked to a doctor about your anxiety?

Return to “Off Topic”